måndag 10 augusti 2026

Au Revoir, Eppu Normaali

Finnish rock legends Eppu Normaali called it a day on Saturday and did their very last, farewell concert on home turf, Ratina stadion in Tampere. The biggest and most famous of the so called Manse Rock (Tampere Rock) bands and movement, that brought original rock lyrics in Finnish to the rock audiences in Finland. The Tampere region was an epicenter for the Finnish rock bands that clustered there and originated from there. Juice Leskinen, Popeda and Eppu Normaali formed the Big Three.

And now that era is bygone. On Saturday Eppu Normaali played their last concert (and the last three, from Thursday to Saturday) in Manse Rock hometown Tampere (even though the band originate from nearby municipality Ylöjärvi). Around 100.000 saw Eput during these three sold-out concerts, that music-wise were considered smashing and great and highly emotional. The arrangements, however, not so good, with insanely long waiting time in queues for everything, understaffed services, some failing technique and high prices overall. But the live music, obviously, was great. And in the end that’s what counts most. 

And that’s an ending that these successful veterans of Finnish-language rock really deserved.

I was actually in Tampere on Friday, and I will review the records I bought there in my next blog text. I did not see the concert though, as no tickets were available, at least at realistic prices, and I had to leave in the late evening anyway, but I was outside Ratina and I actually bought a t-shirt from the official eppu-shop outside the arena. Had to queue for 45 mins, though, with some nice unknown company to chat to while waiting, and afterwards the queue was even longer. The same goes for them that already had bought tickets but then had to change them to bracelets, to a concert arena from where you could not leave and enter again. Totally idiotic, most people seems to think. Me too.

So, no concert, but I experienced that the city of Tampere got all in celebrating Eppu Normaali, their 50 year career and the end of the line shows. That’s actually cool. Everybody talked about Eput everywhere in Tampere, on the streets, in shops, in restaurants, in parks and about every second or third person you met on the streets had an eppu t-shirt on, or something celebrating Eput. There were many signs about this celebratory Finnish rock week in Tampere and for example a giant screen by the Tampere stream where Eppu Normaali songs were played non-stop, with lyrics on the screen. Some could have their karaoke moment there. In levykauppa X the queues were long too, as hordes of people chose to buy (mostly) Eppu t-shirts and other, often Eppu-related, products. 

Yes, it was Eppu Normaali’s city this weekend.

Juice Leskinen, the great wordsmith died already in 2006, and a concert reminiscing the late legendary singer of Popeda, Pate Mustajärvi, who died late last year, was held earlier this Summer, on July 12th. 

And now Eppu Normaali said goodbye, as a working band, live on stage. They have called it a day and will not perform live again (for now at least).

This truly therefore is the end of an era of Finnish rock music and of a Tampere-based national rock movement. Manse Rock was the center of Finnish-language rock for a generation (even though other great bands came from other cities and places). It is hard to think a band will have the same appeal over many generations as Eput have had, and continued to have up until their last concert, in a 50 year career. Respect.

Sad to have missed a historic concert, even though I never was a huge fan, when younger I prefered Pelle Miljoona OY (from Helsinki). However, it was nice to feel the vibe in Tampere during this extraordinary week. Eppu Normaali was an institution in Finnish rock, and truly deserved to be celebrated. Songs like Kitara taivas ja tähdet, Vuonna 85 and Murheellisten laulujen maa, just to name three, really are part of the Finnish musical soul and landscape. So, respect.

And at least I got some good music, on LP, CD, C-cassette and DVD, and a fine Eppu Normaali Peace and Love 1976-2026 t-shirt, with me from Tampere. 

A nice, friendly and truly music-connected city. 

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar