söndag 4 oktober 2026

Fun Record Fair in Helsinki

 Saturday morning was a very good time to visit a Record Fair in Helsinki. Was at Opistotalo even before it formally opened and, yes, I did find a few cool things there. Most expensive was Riistetyt: Laki ja Järjestys ep. The green vinyl 7”, 2nd print, for 85 euro. The original print would have set me back at least a few hundred, if ever available. This was priced 95, but as its cover was not in pristine shape, I got it cheaper. Still expensive, but you very seldom see it. A must for the first, best, version of Elintila. And Riistetyt were an important part of Finland’s (and Tampere’s) legendary hardcore punk scene. Early singles by Terveet Kädet, Riistetyt, Rattus, Kaaos etc are always very pricey.

The impossibly rare Hurriganes The making of Hot Wheels, with some great demo versions, was immediately sold out. It is back out again in a reprint of 500 ex, this time in 10” format. It was of course immediately sold out too, but I got one 10” on Saturday, still unplayed, mint. A great record, but quite expensive at 60€. 

Otherwise I also made much cheaper finds, on CD cheap albums by Hurriganes (a great 2 CD collection of the Scandia years 1977-84, I already have the original vinyl albums but here is also two additional songs) Leevi and the Leavings (fine album BuleBule) and M.A. Numminen (2 CD compilation Kiusankappaleita 1, I already have volume 2 from before). Two unusal if not rare c-cassettes with The Boppers (of which one unfortunately doesn’t play well, always a risk with used c-casettes) and some cd-singles (Depeche Mode Singles 86-98 sampler, Neljä Ruusua’s Radio Mafia version of Olen Niin Pop, Popeda promo-cd-single Kersantti Karoliina and Leevi and The Leavings promo-cd-single Tallinnan Laivalla). All fine. 

On LP I got Style Council’s album My Favorite Shop (with the stunning Walls Come Tumbling Down) for a fiver and Nieminen & Litmanen’s brilliant LP Third in near mint for 20. Lastly, Juice Leskinens ok 7”-single Puhemies, for 3€. A good day (approx 4h) at a Record Fair. And still thinking about two-three rare records I didn’t buy, though, will I get a chance again?

On Friday I also did some great film-finds, Decline of the Western Civilization blueray box with all three films, including the legendary first, from 1981. I have not seen any of them before, so that will be thrilling. But I have of course read about, and heard about, the first. A classic that was shocking in its time. A legendary music documentary.  Found the box in great film store Pieni Leffakauppa in Helsinki, where you usually find some really interesting films. Very well stocked with international titles in different genres as well as second-hand.

Sunday chill hours were spent listening to some great new music in the collection. Not a bad way to start a Sunday.




Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar